When it Rains it Really Pours
William Robert (Billy The Kid) Emerson wrote and recorded this song as When It Rains It Pours at Sun Records in late 1954. His recording (Sun 214) was relased the same day - January 8, 1955 - as Elvis's Milkcow Blues Boogie / You're a Heartbreaker (Sun 215). Later in 1955, probably July 11, Elvis tried to record When It Rains It Pours, but no take was deemed acceptable for release. Drummer Johnny Bernero joined Elvis, Scotty Moore, and Bill Black for the session. In 1983, takes #2 (a false start) and #3 surfaced on the LP Elvis - A Legendary Performer, Volume 4.
On February 24, 1957, at Radio Recorders in Hollywood, Elvis again attempted to record the song, this when as When It Rains It Really Pours. The version on the Elvis For Everyone LP was take #8 from that version. Elvis sang When It Rains It Really Pours during a dress rehearsal for the 1968 TV special, Elvis, but it was not used on the show.
The 1958 movie Country Music Holiday
featured an excellent rendition - perhaps the best - of When It Rains It
Pours by Faron Young.
First released on Elvis For Everyone
- A Golden Celebration (1998)
- Memories of the ’68 Comeback Special (1998)
- Sunrise (1999)
- Blues (2000)
- Rhythm & Blues (2001)
- Elvis at Sun (2004)
- Loving You (2005)
- Loving You (2006) - FTD »
- Elvis R&B (2006)
- Let Yourself Go (2006) – FTD »
- The Complete ’68 Comeback Special (2008)
– A Boy From Tupelo (2012) - FTD »
- Something for the Girls (2014) - FTD »
– Elvis for Everyone (2014) - FTD »
– For LP Fans Only (2018) - FTD »
- Elvis Rocks and the Girls Roll (1986) - Pink and Black
- The One Million Dollar Quartet (1987) - S Records