I Love You Because
Elvis recorded I Love You Because during his first commercial recording session at Sun Records on July 5, 1954. His only instrumental backing was Scotty Moore’s guitar, Bill Black’s bass, and his own guitar. Apparently, five takes were taped by Sam Phillips, but none deemed worthy of commercial release. However, after Elvis had skyrocketed to fame in 1956, RCA released a single of I Love You Because in September 1956, using a splice of takes # 3 and # 5. That same master had previously appeared on the Elvis Presley LP. Take # 2 surfaced in 1974, on the LP Elvis – A Legendary Performer, Volume 1, and all five takes appeared on the 1987 LP The Complete Sun Sessions. Before the release of The Complete Sun Sessions, it had been understood that the master had a splice of takes # 2 and # 4 and that take # 1 appeared on Elvis – A Legendary Performer, Volume 1. Elvis is known to have sung I Love You Because on the Louisiana Hayride in 1954 and 1955.
A historical note: After the five takes of I Love You Because, Elvis, Scotty and Bill started cutting up with That’s All Right (Mama) during a break, and the rest, as they day, is history.
Released for the fist time on Elvis Presley »
- Tryin’ to Get to You / I Love You Because (RCA 20-6639) September 1956. Standard 78 RPM release »
- Tryin’ to Get to You / I Love You Because (RCA 47-6639) September 1956. Standard 45 RPM release »
- Tryin’ to Get to You / I Love You Because (RCA 447-0612) March 1959. Gold standard series reissue »
- Tryin’ to Get to You / I Love You Because (Collectables DPE1-1005 4505) December 1986.
- Elvis Presley (RCA EPA-830) (1956) »
- Elvis Presley – The Most Talked About New Personality in the Past Ten Years of Recorded Music (RCA EPB-1254) (1956) »
- A Legendary Performer, Volume 1 (1974) »
- The Sun Sessions (1975) »
– From Elvis With Love (1978) »
- Elvis at Sun (2004)
- Elvis Presley (2005)
– A Boy From Tupelo (2012) - FTD »
– The Best of British - The RCA Years 1957-1958 (2014) - FTD »
- The Sun Years (1977) – Sun International Corp.