That's When Your Heartaches Begin
That's When Your Heartaches Begin was written by William J. Raskin, Billy Hill and Fred Fisher in 1940. In 1950 the Ink Spots made a successful recording of the song (Decca 25505). The spoken interlude was by Orville (Hoppy) Jones. Bob Lam (Dot 1050) in 1951 and Billy Bunn and His Buddies (RAC 47-4657) in 1952 also had releases of That's When Your Heartachs Begin.
In August 1953 Elvis walked into the Memphis Recording Service to cut two songs on a four-dollar acetate. The first was My Happiness, and the second was That's When Your Heartaches Begin. Elvis left the studio with the only copy of the acetate. (For more information on this story, see My Happiness).
It appears that, of the four songs Elvis committed to acetate in 1953 and on January 4, 1954, only That's When Your Heartaches Begin was ever recorded in the studio at RCA or Sun. The recording session took place on January 13, 1957, at Radio Recorders in Hollywood. Take #7 was selected by RCA for relase on record. Elvis's single had a seven-week stay on Billboard's Top 100 chart, peaking at #58.
During the Million-Dollar-Quartet session in 1956, Elvis sang That's When Your Heartaches Begin and commented briefly that it was one of the songs he recorded on the first acetate in 1953.
Elvis rehearsed That's When Your Heartaches Begin in mid-June 1968 for his TV special Elvis, but did not record it for the program.
If you find your
in the arms of your best friend
You see, love is a thing that you never can share
First released on single »
- All Shook Up / That's When Your Heartaches Begin (RCA 20-6870) March 1957. Standard 78 rpm release »
- All Shook Up / That's When Your Heartaches Begin (RCA 47-6870) March 1957. Standard 45 rpm release »
- All Shook Up / That's When Your Heartaches Begin (RCA 447-0618) March 1959. Gold Standard Series reissue.
- All Shook Up / That's When Your Heartaches Begin (RCA PB-11106) October 1977. One of 15 singles in the boxed set 15 Golden Records - 30 Golden Hits (RCA PP-11301),and the 20 Hits In Full Color Sleeves (RCA PP-11340 boxed set, released two months later.
- All Shook Up / That's When Your Heartaches Begin (RCA PB-13888) Outubro de 1984. One of six singles in the boxed set Elvis' Greatest Hits - Golden Singles, Volume 1
(RCA PP-13897). The record was pressed on gold vinyl and had a special gold "50th" anniversary label.
- Elvis Forever (1974) »
– Memories of Elvis (1978) »
- Elvis! His Greatest Hits (1979) »
- Let Yourself Go (2006) - FTD »
– A Boy From Tupelo (2012) - FTD »
- Something for the Girls (2014) - FTD »
- Elvis' Golden Records (2015) - FTD »